Thursday, August 14, 2008

(Korean) Movie Rec!

Normally, if I read the entire plot of a movie before watching it, no matter how touching it may be, I will not feel any connection to it. No tears.

The King and the Clown, a 2005 Korean movie adapted from the play Yi ("You"), is not one of those movies, despite the fact that I had read an in-depth synopsis prior to watching it.

Synopsis: Two minstrels ("clowns") flee a crime involving killing their manager in self-defense, forming their own troop in Seoul during the Joseon dynasty (1500's BCE). To gain audience, they mock the king with a play, which they must re-perform in front of the king to make him laugh or be killed. The king, having had a troubled childhood, is psychologically unbalanced and with each successive performance the minstrels engage in, the more insane his actions become. This reign of terror culminates in the king's obsession with one of the two minstrels, Gong-gil, a beautiful and naiive youth that inspires jealousy in the king's mistress. It is from that point onward that the devotion of the two minstrels to each other is tested and ultimately succeeds.

It is based on records of the Annals of the Joseon Dynasty that mention the king's favorite clown.

Okay, pretty vague but I don't want to spoil it for anyone else like I spoiled it for myself, because I think anyone else would probably cry buckets instead of the teaspoons of tears I shed.

I am super excited about the actor that played Gong-gil, his name being Lee Jun Ki. In the movie he looks more effeminate than most girls, but I think it is because the movie producers made him gain weight for the role; his regular pictures look different. He apparently was also in a Japanese drama, Virgin Snow. Must put this on my must-see list. In any case....he's really, really pretty!!! (#*_*#)

Watch this movie at any given chance.

No comments: