Sunday, August 17, 2008

Jpop Rec - Arashi

As far as my musical tastes are defined, I am kind of a classic rock/indie rock kind of girl. I used to do that pop music thing back in the 90's with *NSYNC and the Backstreet Boys like everyone else (yes, even you did it, so embrace the shame). But most things that sound remotely pop-esque kind of make me feel like I am 12 again and that is never a fun thing (such an awkward age), so I tend to abhor it.

But now comes my new musical interest: Arashi.




Arashi is a Japanese five-member group of the Johnny's Entertainment variety and while there are elements of R&B/Rap (Sho-kun!), it is undeniably, most ostensibly, a pop group.

Some of their music makes me cringe and wonder when a Backstreet Boy is going to suddenly pop in with one of their ugly nylon tracksuits, but there are three Arashi songs that are right up my alley and that I would recommend without shame. There may be more music of theirs that I might like, but I have only listened to songs with music videos. In anycase, I recommend (especially the music videos):

Truth (dark, beautiful color scheme in music video, excellent orchestra)
Happiness (cutest music video ever!!! boys just being happy!)
Sakura Sake (real you-can-do-it song! about college acceptance letters)

Overall, I have enjoyed watching clips of the boys in tv shows and interviews. I especially love when they tease their appointed "leader" (Riida), Ohno Satoshi, who also happens to be my favorite Arashi member. He's got such a pretty singing voice, is a talented actor (he is so scary in Maou), and is such an air-headed momma's boy that you can't help going "awwww, I just want to take him and put him in my pocket!"


I also wish to firmly declare my support of Ohno not only because he has such an awesome name, but for the fact that he is having a hard time with a scandal about something that allegedly happened three years ago. No reason to go into details because I completely believe him when he says he is innocent of the charges, but I do believe he should get as much support as possible because it is still stressful and many fans are acting quite irrational. Each to his or her own I guess, but really, this little air-headed kid is too sweet to just abandon at the first sign of potential human weakness. But enough fangirling from me.

Well, actually I will end this rec post with a picture of Ikuta Toma because Johnny's hasn't debuted him yet (WHENGODWHEN?!) and everyone loves an underdog.

Here's to Ohno and Toma, the underdogs/downtrodden of Japan's (mainly musical) media industry. May they continue to surprise us all with their talent and tenacity in the face of adversity [aka, low ratings for Maou (;_;)].



~Owari!~

No comments: